Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April Showers will bring May flowers!

That's right! April showers brought lots of tulips that are going to last well into the first part of May! The Tulips are everywhere this spring! While I was out running errands in the afternoon, I passed by these on my way home........take a look........aren't they beautiful?


I wish these were in my garden but all we have is grass. These are in Ned's garden, a friend who lives down the hill from us, and he said I can take pictures of his tulips and flowers anytime I want! I love the pointed petals on these tulips. They almost look like they are daffodils! After enjoying a little walk around Ned's tulip garden, I headed home because I had picked up something delicious at the bakery that I planned to enjoy with a cup of tea.


And it was that yummy looking apple turnover you see on that pretty blue plate. I had my favorite cup of English breakfast tea and relaxed with a few pages of "Little Women". I've seen the movie lots of times, but thought I'd read the book. I don't recall ever reading it as a kid. Then again.....it's been awhile since I was a kid so maybe I did and don't remember it! :-)

I had been doing some stitching on some tea towels and finished up a couple that are similar to the one in the photo. I thought you might like to make one so I am sharing the little tulip pattern that I drew for a quilt block exchange in our Prior Lake Quilter's group back in 2003. Just right click on the pattern page, save to your computer and you can print from the file.
I prewashed my towels although I'm not sure that's necessary. I made them just for "pretties" but I like the feel better after they are washed. I used woolfelt that was white and then washed with red to get the mottled effect on the tulip. I want real tulips that color in my garden next summer! Perhaps next time I sit down for tea, I should grab my gardening catalogs and start shopping. :-)
So the question for the day is.........


are there tulips growing in your garden or will they only grow on teatowels and quilts?
Have a lovely relaxing day!
Sandi

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks you so much for sharing your talents with the pattern. I'm going to use it to make a fabric postcard for a friend going thru chemo. She's florist. I'm going to write, " Sometimes even a florist needs flowers... "

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Lovely thought to use the tulip on a fabric postcard!

Owl Lady said...

Thank you for sharing the tulip pattern with us. I may use it to applique scraps over some stains on washcloths that are good otherwise.
To Screen Door: That is a great idea for using the tulip on your postcard, and I like the sentiment that you will write. I think that we could also substitute "gardener" for "florist".

A little stitching poem.........

This little poem was written for one of my beginning quilting students - only 8 years old but her stitches were those of a natural seamstress!

For Bailey Anne . . . .
When this you see, think of me.
Sit down and have a cup of tea.
Then place your quilt upon your lap,
begin to stitch . . . no time to nap!
Stitch patiently and you will see . . .

how fine a quilter you can be!

©1999-2008 Sandra E. Andersen