Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hopping down the Bunny Trail looking for an Easter Basket....

.......and here it is! This month's Tea Time project is just a little Easter basket sketch that can be done many ways, just like those in past months.

You can trace the design and stitch it in Redwork or trace it to muslin, then color it with crayons or colored pencils (I like this method but does not withstand washing too well) and embroider outlines. You could even trace the design onto wood and woodburn the design to a decorative piece of wood or trace it onto wood and use acrylic paints for the sketch.


Or, you can do as I am in the photo above and cut out the basket, bunny and egg pieces and trace to cotton fabrics backed with fusible web and press to backing fabric. I am going to use some of the new threads that I received from TheGentleArt. I love the names of the threads. The brown thread that I will use for the chocolate bunny is appropriately titled "Dark Chocolate"! The lighter brown that I'll outline the basket with is called "Maple Syrup". Makes me think that since we live on Maple Ridge that perhaps there are some trees we should be tapping for syrup! The colors that I will use for the eggs are Butternut Squash, Blue Jay, Rhubarb, Grape Leaf and Punchberry. Most of them sound good enough to eat except that Blue Jay. I would think that pretty soon there will be a few Blue Jays in our backyard. This morning I could hear the Cardinals singing some spring love songs so little birdies are coming soon. :-) Even the black has a cool name - Black crow. There are always a lot of them around as there is a marsh area across the street and they love sit in the tall grasses out there. Instead of cotton fabrics, you could also do this piece in wool or woolfelt. Just get creative!! And if all you want to do is color the picture, that's all right to!! Print it out for the kids and keep them busy while you are cooking for the Easter weekend.

Here's a little update on previous projects..............the snowman couple are still in progress although the Tea Time heart stitchery is finished. I am almost finished stitching the Irish Blessing and now here I am starting this one!! I will probably finish both of them this weekend but the Snowman couple will continue to be a "work in progress". All of these designs could be placed in an 8 x 10 frame so I am on the look-out for a really cool frame where I could change out the design each month. I'll bet I'll find something at spring garage sales or the next thrift shop stop I make. LOL!!

Now it's time to post tea and goodies...........Yum!!!

2 comments:

Pat said...

VERY cute! I am going to print it out and add it to my collection Sandi projects!!! I, too, am going to get a frame that can be changed out with each month or season. Thanks for another really cute pattern...and I love the names of those threads. Are they only marketed online?

Kaye said...

Thank you for the pattern and the crayons do sound good enough to eat

A little stitching poem.........

This little poem was written for one of my beginning quilting students - only 8 years old but her stitches were those of a natural seamstress!

For Bailey Anne . . . .
When this you see, think of me.
Sit down and have a cup of tea.
Then place your quilt upon your lap,
begin to stitch . . . no time to nap!
Stitch patiently and you will see . . .

how fine a quilter you can be!

©1999-2008 Sandra E. Andersen